MEGA POWER! The Smallest & Largest Sega Genesis GamesFebruary 20, 2023
MEGA POWER! The Smallest & Largest Sega Genesis Games
This was originally a 2 part series where I went over the largest and smallest Genesis carts in megabits. I start with the smaller games and then move to the monster sizes at the end of the platform’s life.
I’m now on Patreon! Help support the channel.
Check out my Sega Lord X merchandise page!
If you would like to support the channel directly:
Head over to Facebook to hear me ramble about various things:
I’m now on Twitter!
Tweets by Sega_Lord_X
Opening “Sega” jingle is from Astal for the Sega Saturn.
Ending Music during the credits is from Batman for the Sega Genesis.
By: Jan Neves
YouTube Page – https://www.youtube.com/user/Jan3d
Intro by Evan S.
1. Captured on the Mega SG and real hardware.
2. 8 megabits = 1 megabyte
3. 128 kilobytes = 1 megabit
4. There are some oddball cart sizes out there. Star Control was 12 megabits and Panorama Cotton was 20 megabits.
5. The introduction of CDROM technology was huge mainly because of the storage possibilities. Where as a cartridge was huge at 32 megabits at the time, a CD could hold a whopping 5400+ megabits.
6. The reason developers didn’t just start off with massive cartridge sizes in the 16-bit generation was cost. ROM was expensive and developers wanted to make money. Every increase in size increased cost, which was often passed on to the consumer. When a game had a larger cart size and things like battery backups, they tended to cost $10-$20 more than your average release. At the time of its launch in early 1990, Phantasy Star II cost $69.99 due to its 6-megabit ROM and battery backup.
7. So much was made about Strider’s 8 meg showing. The magazines, the ads, the reviews, it was a real draw to see how it turned out. It was incredible that even with 8 megs, there is still heavy compression going on to make that game work. Do you notice those pauses during gameplay you feel? That’s music being loaded for the next section.
via YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap1rMudeAXc